Support for renters

Here's the latest from government and associate sources on employment and finance rights during the Coronavirus pandemic

20 March 2020

  • If you currently live independently renting an apartment, house or room or in a low-income household you may be able to get support with your housing costs, through claiming Universal Credits or new style ESA, you are able to indicate you have housing cost such as rent in the application.
  • Note; in order to get the correct support your whole household income will be taken into account. If you are currently renting a room in a shared property your house mates’ earnings will not be considered as you are still living independently of each other.
  • Emergency legislation has been put in place to suspend new evictions from social or private rented accommodate while the national emergency is taking place, however you still need to:
  • Contact your Landlord as soon as possible to inform them your circumstance has changed i.e. reduced income, self-isolating, etc and attempt to come to an arrangement
  • Pay as much and as often as you can this is vital, as after the three months you will still be liable to pay the costs that you have incurred.
  • Make a claim for Universal credit of New Style ESA. If you are already claiming JSA, Old Style ESA or SSP contact your local authority to see if you are eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction.
  • From 15/03/2020 customers with pre-payment meters who may not be able to add credit can speak to their supplier about options to keep them supplied. Call your energy provider and explain if COVID-19 has affected your income and they may be able to support you via an arrangement or a hold on current payments. If you self-isolating they maybe able to top up your meter remotely etc.
  • The government announced an increase in Housing Benefit and Universal Credit, so that local housing allowance will cover at least 30% of market rents in your area.

Please note, at Create Jobs we're equipped to help young people get jobs and paid work in the creative industries but if you need support with any of the above, your best bet is to speak to the pros. For any help and support, please checkout the useful links below or contact:

Turn2Us: 0808 802 2000

Citizens Advice: 03444 111 444

HMRC: 0800 0159 559

*This information is subject to change and is relevant as of 7pm Fri 20 March and information is changing daily. To ensure you have the most up to date information please check