Join our board
We are currently looking for two new Trustees to join A New Direction's board. Could one of them be you?
About A New Direction
A New Direction is London's flagship creative and cultural education agency. We work to ensure that all children and young people get the most out of London’s extraordinary creative and cultural offer.
Through our partnerships and programmes, we test and develop innovative models and approaches to creating change across the cultural, creative education sectors in London. We are in part funded by Arts Council England as part of its Bridge programme.
About our Board of Trustees
Our board is chaired by Professor Maggie Atkinson, and we have talented and passionate trustees from a range of disciplines included education, youth services, education, policy, fundraising and development, human resources, law and finance.
We are looking for two new Trustees that fit the following profiles:
Trustee 1. Communications and Digital
A New Direction will celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2018, and we are keen to use this milestone as an opportunity to increase our profile, and instigate a more high-profile dialogue with the creative, cultural and education sectors and beyond, about how to support young people to be creative and confident, to develop and progress in London today.
We are looking for a board member who can:
- Advise and support on all aspects of communications as required, in partnership with the Communications function of the organisation, senior leadership and the other Board members.
- Support A New Direction’s brand, ensuring narrative, tone of voice, key messages and visual identity align to best effect.
- Help raise A New Direction’s profile in the media, to get its voice and messages heard by a wider audience.
- Support campaigning and lobbying around the specific issues and barriers that young Londoners’ face in relation to their own creativity, access to arts and culture, and employment opportunities within the creative and cultural sectors.
- Knowledge of EdTech and digital practices within the context of culture, creativity and education would be welcome.
To more information about this role email Steve Woodward.
Trustee 2. Employment in the creative industries
Create Jobs is an employability programme for young Londoners (16-25) and the creative industries. Through the programme, we support and develop London’s next creative generation - introducing employers to creative, diverse and talented young Londoners, bringing new ideas and energy to the sector.
We are looking for a board member to:
- Support and advocate for A New Direction’s Create Jobs programme
- Support our ambition for growth, helping us to implement and deliver a strategic plan for development
- Help us to build new partnerships, attracting ambassadors, advocates, supporters and funders through advocacy and networking
- Provide a wider knowledge of, and network of contacts within the creative industries to help us open doors for more young people.
To more information about this role email Oliver Benjamin.
Roles and responsibilities of the Board
- Having a commitment to A New Direction’s vision and strategic aims
- Being ambassadors and advocates
- Helping contribute to all aspects of Board duties including a strategic oversight, delivery of the business plan and to have an understanding of governance, fundraising and partnerships in a charity setting
- A willingness to devote necessary time supporting AND work where possible.
If you would like to express an interest in joining the board, please complete the relevant form, and return it to email@example.com by Friday 28 July 2017.
Candidates of interest will be then invited to an informal interview with the Chair and/or a Trustee and the CEO of A New Direction, where an appointment is conditional on a DBS check and confirmation from two referees.
- A New Direction actively welcomes interest from under-represented groups.
- This is an unpaid Trustee role which lasts for 3 years with an option to extend for a further 3 years.