A New Direction has been selected alongside East London based organisations West Ham United Foundation, London Works (ELBA) and Badu Sports to deliver the Moving On Up: Makin’ Moves programme that engages, enhances, encourages and supports young Black men (aged 16-24) in Newham to access sustainable careers, and expand on their financial literacy.
“Unemployment in Newham stands at around 14,000-15,000, and the unemployment rate of 14% is approximately double that of London.”
Moving on Up: Makin’ Moves has been co-designed with young Black men to equip them with the skills and opportunities to achieve their full potential. We understand the challenges YBM face to secure sustainable careers that not only affects them financially, but mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally. Our approach is to not focus solely on achieving work placements, but to also provide guidance and tools that will ensure long-term progression, contributing to a generational legacy, that empowers young Black men to expand and explore financial opportunities.
Our programme curriculum covers:
- CV and job application guidance
- Business and financial literacy
- Well-being support through 1:1 mentoring and pastoral care
- Podcasting: Utilising our creative expertise and networks, we are offering a creative outlet focused on storytelling through podcasting
Who is it for?
- Young men aged 16-24 from Black British, Black African, Black Caribbean and Mixed Black ethnic groups
- Resident of the London Borough of Newham
- Currently unemployed, underemployed or not in full-time education